Monday, October 13, 2008
Technology in the classroom
I use a lot of power points in my classroom. The moving pictures and words keep some of the student on task. Also my handwriting is not so great so a typed version of the curriculum material that is not a transparecy or another paper copy for a student to lose in his/her notebook works for me. Since trying to incorporate all the learning styles in a classroom setting is a bit overwhelming with regard to planning it is interesting that our new curriculum has put the learning styles in each of its pre-programmed lesson plans. But in a 45 minute period, I'm not really comfortable that all the children who are off-task are made that way by poor lesson planning or planning does not hit a particular learning style. Technology does make my part of the student-teacher relationship more consistent; I'm just not sure that it makes the learner learn more efficiently or better or more; nor do I believe that technology gives them the advantage of thinking at a higher level.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds like you have found a very practical and valid use for technology with the Power Points. And I absolutely agree with you that technology *in and of itself* does not make the learner learn more efficiently, or better, or more; or that by itself, technology promotes higher level thinking. Nor does the Power Point you mentioned keep students on task, by itself; you, the teacher, put thought into designing the slides, incorporating pictures, etc., with a particular goal of keeping students on task. In other words, you the teacher helps students learn more efficiently, better, at a higher level; and there are some technologies that can help with that.
Post a Comment